Ridley Home Service -                             Foundation Specialists
How do I know if I have a Permanent foundation?
The best way to find out is to schedule an inspection of your home where it can be determined if you have a permanent foundation or not.Ridley Home Service will provide an inspection of your home and provide all of the results to our engineer to see if your home meets the requirements for, The HUD 7584 publication also known as the HUD Permanent Foundation Guide for Manufactured Homes, or PFGMH.You can visit our contact us page to schedule your apppointment.The cost of an engineering certification along with the initial inspection varies with the specific conditions of each home.
Friday, June 5, 2009
Who Can Certify a Permanent Foundation on Manufactured Homes? 
There is confusion over just who can certify that a manufactured home foundation is permanent per HUD requirements. The simple answer is this. Only a professional engineer or registered architect can certify permanent foundations on existing manufactured homes whether under the September 1996 Permanent Foundation Guide for Manufactured Homes or the newer HUD Model Installation Rules.
Part of the confusion comes from the HUD manufactured home appraisal form itself, because it specifically requires an appraiser to state whether the home is attached to a permanent foundation. The only responses on the form are “yes” or “no”. However, the proper response should be “an engineering certificate is required” and it should be placed in the comments section. An appraiser does himself/herself no favors at all by answering this question. If they say yes and it is not HUD compliant, they are opening themselves up for a lawsuit and I know of several appraisers who are in legal proceedings over just this issue.
The September 1996 Permanent Foundation Guide for Manufactured Homes is very clear on the requirements. Only a “Licensed Professional” may certify foundations and/or seal drawings. The PFGMH defines licensed professionals as professional engineers or registered architects. The newer HUD Model Installation Rules also allow both engineers and architects to certify foundations.
However, that does not mean the engineer or architect must personally go under the manufactured home. Field inspectors routinely collect field data for engineers in many engineering fields and this area is no different. The engineer is ultimately responsible for the information in his report.
Appraisers, home inspectors and any one else who puts in writing whether a foundation meets permanent foundation requirements accepts needless legal liabilities, and, for the most part, don’t get paid a penny more for there services. State engineering boards are very aggressive in contacting home inspectors who imply they can provide engineering certifications on their websites.
SOURCE: Published by NAMP Publishing Group, a division of the National Association of Mortgage Processors (http://www.MortgageProcessor.org)